Sunday, December 19, 2010

Week Nine: End of Term

December 13th-December 17th 2010

It is hard to believe that my time at Monchy Primary School has come to an end. I had an amazing experience and have learned so much from the staff and students. I became a part of an entirely different culture which allowed me to appreciate the richness and value of diversity within our world. The teachers took time to take me around the island and experience some of the natural beauty and history St. Lucia has to offer. They welcomed me into their school as if I was one of their own. I am leaving the island with not only professional mentors, but lifelong friends. I was nervous to go abroad on my own, but I think the independence allowed me to form stronger relationships than I would have if someone else were with me. I found the confidence to open up and fully embrace a life much different from my own and in all reality, I enjoyed every second of it. I formed close relationships with my students and feel that I was able to reach each of them in a productive and efficient manner. In overwhelming and sometimes chaotic situations, I was able to pull myself together and empower my students to learn. I was a supportive teacher who emphasized the importance of education to a group of students who lacked that value and support at home. They confided in me what they felt they could not tell others and looked to me for guidance. I became not only a teacher, but also a role model, mother, sister and friend.

I think saying goodbye to my colleagues and students was by far the hardest thing I had to do in St. Lucia. My last day at Monchy was spent watching and facilitating the all-school Christmas concert. It was an awesome experience and a great way to end the term. However, the day ended with lots of heartfelt goodbyes and a few a tears. The teachers and both my grade six classes gave me gifts that I will cherish forever. I plan to go back to St. Lucia and visit in the future. But until then, I will continue to be in contact with the teachers and students when I return to Wisconsin. I have created bonds with many of them that will not be severed by distance. My words of advice to future student teachers would be: Take advantage of all opportunities that come your way. Learn, Live and Explore. The world has much more to offer than what lies immediately before us.

Goodbye St. Lucia xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment